About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm a History of Art student who adores and seeks inspiration from silent films and vintage clothes, especially from the twenties, thirties and fourties. After reading many incredible blogs that have enthused and influenced me, I decided to create my own, as I begin to wear vintage and become more immersed in the glamour of the past. x

Monday 13 August 2012

Waist Woes

Slightly somber salutations,

I decided to do a quick post about confidence, as it as issue that has been weighing heavily (no pun intended) on my mind. I recently put on a bit of weight, during my revision period, and did not feel very comfortable in my own skin.  Weight is an area I try not to fixate on and ignore but one can't help but occasionally address the issue. My weight has fluctuated drastically throughout my life and unfortunately, after my recent weight gain, I was left feeling less confident. When suffering from bouts of feelings of inadequacy, my method to counteract these feelings, my patronus if you will, (can you tell I'm a Harry Potter fan!)  to vanquish the dementors which roam my mind, is to put on one of the beautiful vintage dresses I own, regardless of whether I'm even going to leave the house. 

This 1950s dress perfectly illustrates this point, it nips in at my waist and then fans out underneath, giving me an hourglass silhouette. The dress sculpts and accentuates a small waist whilst skimming over my stomach. I always feel elegant and womanly when wearing it, even when I have the urge to go sit in a dark room and not venture from it, this dress allows me to hold my head high and feel comfortable. Thank god for vintage, unlike in modern clothes in which the proportions of fail to suit my figure. Have I gushed enough yet about this 1950's dress? It was created by a company called California Cottons. I did not know much about the company until I found this fascinating blog post by sheep and chick blog featuring adverts for the company, all of which look amazing!






  
Clothes can definitely inform your mood, by choosing to wear this dress instead of hiding myself under  baggy layers of black in a bid to make myself feel less exposed, I actually make myself  have a sunnier disposition. Due to the construction of the dress I feel feminine and curvaceous, which gives me a more positive outlook. I know that this is not a groundbreaking or original thought, but I just wanted to share with you one of the many reasons for my love of vintage clothes.

Yours positively,

Evalily Harlow xxx

p.s. I'm embarking on a trip to Berlin soon, so will not be able to post for a while, but hopefully I will have many interesting experiences to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment