About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm a History of Art student who adores and seeks inspiration from silent films and vintage clothes, especially from the twenties, thirties and fourties. After reading many incredible blogs that have enthused and influenced me, I decided to create my own, as I begin to wear vintage and become more immersed in the glamour of the past. x

Sunday 25 November 2012

Cheltenham Christmas and Fashion Fair

Seasons greetings,

A couple of weeks ago, early on a Saturday morning, the family and I excitedly embarked on a long car drive to attend the annual Christmas and Fashion Fair at Cheltenham race course, I know it's a bit premature to be reveling in yuletide decorations, but when in Rome! The organisers host these fantastic biennial fairs, with the Spring fair occurring at Sudeley Castle in April, I would definitely recommend attending both but the Spring fair has the rather more majestic surroundings of the castle.



 The sprawling, picturesque views encompassing the course. 

But anyway, back to the Christmas fair, there is always a diverse range of stall holders selling everything from Christmas ephemera, vintage jewellery, vintage and reproduction clothes, amazing gourmet organic food, and warm wintry beverages of mulled wine, ginger wine and my favourite the Pimms number 3 winter tipple, infused with spices. The quality of the stalls is guaranteed, stuffed with unique and quirky items insured to please, with stall holders eager to talk about their products. 



My mother and I, already fatigued and ready for food! I am wearing my cranberry forties skirt, which forms part of a forties suit, and a vintage fur-trimmed jacket.

Whilst traversing the many stalls my nose was drawn to the deliciously aromatic, moist, award winning little pieces of heaven - the chocolate brownies from Love Brownies.  They also create gluten free brownies which were equally amazing, and perfect for my sister, a coeliac, who can find it hard to find great dietary alternatives, so these were of course very much appreciated by her. What's even greater is that you can order them online to be delivered to your home ( I believe this is only possible in the UK though at the moment, sorry to any international readers), easily accessible but deadly for the waistline! 

After stocking up on the brownies, half of which never made it home, we stumbled across The Elephants Trunk Company beautiful stall selling art deco and art nouveau inspired silk delicately embroidered shawls and jackets. I was enticed by this beautiful blush jacket with peacock detailing. When picking up a piece of clothing, I always imagine the story of the garment, with vintage I imagine what rooms the garment may have graced, or whose body they may have adorned or been draped around, but with this art deco style garment I cant help but imagine where I may wear it to, perhaps when I finally can afford to visit Burgh Island, or travel on the Orient Express, I can be lounging in the sun, in a pair of twenties trousers and shirt, a low waisted flapper dress, or even over a swimming costume by the pool. As soon as the shawl touched my shoulders I felt transformed and transported, and that I was destined to own it, and have been wearing it around the house ever since. I can't help but feel bohemian, exotic, glamorous and enigmatic, all characteristics of the twenties, and one of the reasons for my obsession with the era, which is great escapism when your sitting in the damp and dark Midlands.





The attention to detail in the jacket, informed by the vintage style, shows the quality of the reproduction. The tassels are an added beautiful detail.



My pockets were once again ransacked for doubloons when I came across the dazzling array of  Saboteur from the Clogmaker shoes which, I later found out talking to the stall holder, are all hand made in Britain, and many are based on vintage styles. I fell in love with these Victorian inspired brown boots, even with a slight heel they are very comfortable,  I stood up in them for five hours whilst volunteering  and did not feel any discomfort. They are perfect for volunteering at Wightwick Manor being perfectly in keeping with the Victorian aesthetic. I also love them because I had been recently re-watching North and South, for the thousandth time. I am actually trying to grow my hair out from having a bob, after becoming obsessed with Clara Bow and Louise Brooks, to a longer style more reminiscent of Margaret Hale, her independent strong spirit is inspiring and these boots help me to get into character.






My outfit including: reproduction Victorian shoes, skirt from Puttin on the Ritz (an invaluable site for amazing period style quality pieces, made to your measurements), a forties vintage jacket from The Looking Glass in Bridgnorth and a poppy pin (of course).

I also purchased a pair of flat black leather shoes, with beautiful twenties inspired detailed, perfect black shoes that will go with any outfit and give it a period twist and a casual elegance.
                               


In addition to the reproduction items that are sold at the fair I also found a stall selling an array of vintage handbags. I bought this forties handbag, I especially love the shape and structure of forties handbags. In addition, the detailing on the front of the bag, the very reasonable price, and the great condition of the bag meant that it had to come home with me.


After a bite to eat, I came across this Czech thirties necklace which I found when my magpie tendencies sought out the jeweled haven that is The Vintage Angel. I had been looking for a beautiful thirties necklace for a while so was delighted to find this with a diverse but complimentary range of colours.




When I uploaded this image I couldn't help but feel regret at not buying one of these brooches, but I just couldn't choose only one!


The glittery jackets, whilst not my style, were definitely a bold fashion statement and reminded me, I really want to go dancing soon!

Finally, I saved the best till last. One can't overlook, these quirky, endearing, hand painted Victoria Burnett Designs ornaments, of adorable sartorially splendorous animals. I'd love to buy one of the elegantly attired sweet mice, reminiscent of my childhood love of Beatrix Potter.



One can't help but admire his pompous and snooty attitude!


I love foxes, The Fantastic Mr. Fox, was a favourite childhood read, so I took home with me this well dressed (if slightly weirdly attired in hunting gear) fox to grace my door as a handle adornment.

Yours excitedly preparing for Christmas, 

Evalily Harlow xxxx

3 comments:

  1. Just discovered your blog,
    love it already! :)

    Keep up the good work
    xoxo Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jessica, that means so much to me!
    Best wishes, Evalily xxxxx

    ReplyDelete