About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm a History of Art student who adores and seeks inspiration from silent films and vintage clothes, especially from the twenties, thirties and fourties. After reading many incredible blogs that have enthused and influenced me, I decided to create my own, as I begin to wear vintage and become more immersed in the glamour of the past. x

Thursday 27 December 2012

Bliss in Bath

 An amazingly indulgent Christmas was had by all in my house, the day ended with the sublime Downton Abbey Christmas special, by the end of which I was trying to reign in my sorrow, a few stray tears falling onto my mince pie. I will post soon about the presents I received but before that I wanted to post these beautiful pictures taken a few weeks ago. I know this Christmas post is a bit late, I was meant to upload it on Christmas Eve but I spent a lot of the time doing last minute wrapping and cooking, however the Christmas spirit  still infuses the air, and I really wanted to upload these pictures of Bath. I know the city to be  culturally and historically rich, embellished during this time of year with touches of the magical and joyous. So, under the guise of checking on my sister studies, the family took a sojourn down to Bath for the Christmas fair. The fair attracts stallholders from as far a field as Russia and Germany selling hand crafted gifts and amazing hot delicacies, I love German gingerbread!












Poor elves! I love the need for clarification, that the pies contain pork not elf ... 





The night air was teeming with enticing smells, beautiful sights, and the melodious warbling of an effervescent, enthusiastic choir singing carols in aid of a local hospice.



I wore: my vintage inspired plum cloche hat, black 1950's suit with white fir trim and silver brooch, green glass vintage necklace, Dents gloves and Clark's t-bar shoes. My mom was also wearing her amazing 1920's elaborately detailed flapper coat.


                  

                      

In the evening we visited the 'Cosy Club' a relaxed restaurant incorporating a mix of industrial loft space living, with a shabby chic, eclectic, antique style. I greatly admired the assortment of pictures displayed, providing sustained interest for the eye. The lighting was also perfect creating an intimate, warm, friendly ambiance conducive to sustained lively conversation.

               





My father became transfixed by this cow creamer, delighted that the cream/milk poured directly from the cow's mouth. He was so enamoured with it he went on a mission the next day to find one for himself, as my mother refused to hide it in her purse, fortunately he did, so we were saved from enduring further effusions of love, regarding the great genius and beauty of the object, and moreover his desire to own it.




Traditional English fattening fare, fish and chip with mushy peas, definitely the best fish and chips I have ever had, evidenced by the fact I polished it off sharpish!


Day 2

After a good night's sleep, I woke up feeling as if I had overindulged far to much on food the previous day, in part due to the fish and chips, but mainly due to the many sweet treats I bought from the various stalls the night before and insisted on eating there and then!

I decided on wearing my plum cloche hat again, brown Victorian reproduction shoes,Cadbury coloured purple blouse and my often worn brown skirt from Puttin' on the Ritz  perfect for nipping in the waist when you feel a little bloated! You can also see my beautiful 1940's plum coat on a coat hanger.






After strolling round the many beautiful boulevards, admiring the architecture and imagining women in Regency era clothes, we stopped for lunch at this amazing French restaurant for a healthy light bite. The restaurant had a charming vintage french flair, reminding me of an old Parisian coffee house.

                






After lunch we indulged in our love of interior design and drooled over the many desirable objects (not literally as we would have been asked to leave).


               

                

They also had amazing Christmas decorations.

               




Furthermore, I managed to find the time to visit a few of the vintage clothes shops of Bath. I came across this amazing fur astrakhan coat, I would have tried it on but then I saw the price tag, over a £1,000, it was truly amazing but I wonder who will be able to afford it at that price, wouldn't it look perfect on the Orient Express, I have however never seen anything like it before, très chic!




In this picture you can see the my favourite coat, a beautiful 1940's number, incorporating adorable brown pompoms and an amazing collar, which fortunately also matches my cloche hat and Mulberry handbag.
                
I hope you all had a splendid Christmas and Boxing day.

Yours,

Evalily Harlow xxx



2 comments:

  1. Wow, everything in this post is fantastic! It looks like you had a wonderful holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Arika, sorry it has taken me so long to reply, but hopefully the new post I have just uploaded will help explain. x

    ReplyDelete